HST Sample Lesson Tutorial
A committee of business and education professionals began work in July 2005 to establish recommended content for a Health Science Technology (HST) orientation program and to determine a recommended structure for the Curriculum Revitalization Initiative (CRI) lesson plans, now part of MYcaert. The committee based the HST program content on the existing Illinois Agriculture model, the national Health Science Career Cluster program, and curriculum models from across the country. Over several months, they also identified a set of tasks for HST orientation level lessons. Using the tasks identified, teams of teacher/writers wrote lesson plans, PowerPoint presentations, and assessments for the orientation-level course in HST that is aligned with Common Core State Standards (CCSS).
Health Sciences STEM Profile
Developed by the Illinois Department of Employment Security, the Health Sciences STEM Profile provides highlights and the nature of the Health Science industry in Illinois, as well as current and projected employment opportunities in health occupations throughout the state.
Health Science Career, Wages & Trends
Developed by Illinois workNet, the Health Sciences Career, Wages & Trends allows exploration of various career pathways (including Health Science), the skills and training required, and the job demand and wages in Illinois.
Health Science Technology Guide to Program Planning
Developed by the Illinois State Board of Education, the Articulated Program Guide for Health Occupations in the Secondary Schools suggests health occupations program course content and sequences to cover four full years of study for grades 9 through 12.
Health Science Technology Matrix
Developed by the Illinois State Board of Education, the Career Programs in Health Sciences Technology matrix presents suggested courses for 21 health occupation career clusters.
Health Science Technology Career Guide
Students searching for information about careers and training opportunities in the health professions in Illinois are able to find what they need in the expanded A Guide to Health Careers in Illinois. The Guide provides information on over 200 health science professions taught in over 580 training programs in Illinois.
Additional HST resources are available on the Illinois State Board of Education's HST College and Career Readiness page.
Heath Science Technology
The mission of the Illinois Career and Technical Education Innovative Curriculum Resources Project headed by Illinois State University and funded by Carl D. Perkins Career and Technical Education Improvement Act of 2006, is to facilitate and coordinate Career and Technical Education (CTE) programs in public, secondary and post secondary schools in Illinois.
- Provide state-wide coordination of CTE programs, career awareness and development of initiatives through the creation and dissemination of on-line activities and lesson plans relating to career exploration, career decision making and career guidance.
- Assist in bridging the gap between employers and the educational field by researching strategies to improve communication and collaborative efforts within and between EFE Directors, CTE teachers, career counselors, post secondary institutions and workforce advisory boards.
- Provide innovative, research based, curricular resources through various activities and evaluative techniques.
- Undertake a process to review existing CTE curriculum materials, help in the dissemination of curriculum materials, provide professional development based and develop ancillary materials to help support the curriculum materials for Illinois CTE professionals, institutions and workforce advisory boards.
Illinois HOSA website - www.illinoishosa.org
IACTE website - www.iacte.org
TWITTER: Follow me at "@budde_nance"
****leave me a message if you would be interested in visiting a SIM lab during summer break.
- Look for #ilcte, #IL_InCiTE, #CRSA2015, and #CRSA16 for past coverage and current posts by fellow HST and CTE educators!
Check out the Illinois Health Occupations Association (IHOA) website! Join other amazing HST educators in Illinois in making IHOA a leader in HST education resources, professional development, networking, and collaboration. For information on joining the work of IACTE and its health affiliate IHOA, click HERE.
SAVE THE DATE FOR EXCITING SUMMER PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT ACADEMIES IN YOUR AREA!
KEYNOTE PRESENTERS: Corinne Hosington and Brooks Harper
Registration is currently open for summer academies.
June 18-19, 2018 in Springfield
June 21-22, 2018 in Edwardsville
June 25-26, 2018 in Addison
INTERNATIONAL HOSA CONFERENCE
June 27-29, 2018 in Dallas, Texas
LOOK FOR OUR MONTHLY NEWSLETTER for HAPPENINGS in Illinois HST programs
Starting April 2018
Picture submissions for our HST webpage would be greatly appreciated. Let's showcase your students in ACTION!