Business Teacher Updates--Fall 2018
BUSINESS TEACHER UPDATES--FALL 2018
Registration is now open for four Fall Business Teacher Update Sessions listed below. Focus for these updates is on innovative ways of teaching Entrepreneurship and Technology! All updates are free, but registration is required.
- Oct. 11--Champaign Central High School "Fan Palooza" Teaching Entrepreneurship with Technology, 4:30 p.m. - 6:30 p.m. Click here for calendar event details. Registration link: https://goo.gl/o8vAax
- Oct. 17--Wheaton-Warrenville South High School INCubatorEdu MobileMakersEdu Preview Night!, 4:30 p.m. - 6:30 p.m. Click here for calendar event details. Registration link: https://goo.gl/ovYKuM
- Oct. 18--Canton High School INCubatorEdu MobileMakersEdu Preview Night!, 4:30 p.m. - 6:30 p.m. Click here for calendar event details. Registration link: https://goo.gl/c9cZ6D
- Oct. 25--ROCTE EFE System, Lincoln Land Community College "Fan Palooza" Teaching Entrepreneurship with Technology, 4:30 p.m. - 6:30 p.m. Click here for calendar event details. Registration link: https://goo.gl/LMXTei
Web/Mobile App Coding SGI--July 30, 2018 Highlights
Structured Group Interview (SGI)/Teacher Steering Committee (TSC)
Coding for Web/Mobile App Development
July 30, 2018
Great appreciation goes to Aligatortek, 8th Light, and 146th Street for sharing their expert developers at the July 30 Structured Group Interview, Coding for Web/Mobile App Development. This small group of experts rendered industry-based topics and subtopics which will be made into a curriculum for Illinois high school CTE teachers.
Thank you to Ahmar Arshi, Sarah Sunday, and Andrew Harris for donating their time and energy to this project! The lively discussion delivered important insights for future curriculum.
In addition to the developer professionals' contributions, several tech-savvy Business Education Instructors from around the state of Illinois participated on the Teacher Steering Committee. With the information gained from the developers, this teacher committee created a number of new lesson titles with learning objectives and suggested "real world" activities for curriculum which will ultimately be published at MYcaert.com for Illinois CTE high school instructors.
Andrew Harris, Owner, 146th Street, Ltd. & Sr. Lecturer--IU/PUI
Web/Mobile App Developers from the Chicago and Indianapolis areas volunteered their time and expertise to share information regarding the skills and knowledge required for their careers. With this information, curricular topics and subtopics were derived.
Jennifer Williams, North Mac High School; Kevin Holben, Richards High School; Gail Turner, Newton Community High School; Jamal Maatuka, Champaign Central High School
Business Education Instructors formed the Teacher Steering Committee for Coding for Web/Mobile App Development Structured Group Interview. They took the results of the SGI panel of experts and created lesson plan titles with learning objectives as lesson plan framework for future lesson writers on those topics.
Certification Training Materials Available
Certiport Free Curriculum Demo for Certification Testing Prep--Limited Time Only!
Certiport is offering a promotion that will allow an Illinois Business &/or Technology teacher to request a free demo for a curriculum that will be active through September 2018. This demo can be used by a teacher to evaluate new curriculum ideas for the upcoming school year or can be deployed with students immediately in the classroom.
Curriculum options that are available align to industry-recognized certification programs, but these tools can be excellent resources for teachers even if certification is not offered in the course.
- Microsoft Office Specialist – Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, and Outlook
- IC3 Digital Literacy – Computing Fundamentals, Key Applications, and Living Online
- Adobe Certified Associate – Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Premiere Pro, Dreamweaver, and Animate/Flash
- Microsoft Technology Associate – various Developer, Database, and IT Pro titles – www.certiport.com/mta
- QuickBooks Certified User – QuickBooks 2017
- Entrepreneurship and Small Business
- CompTIA – A+ 901, A+ 902, Network+, and Security+
Diane Mahinda, BMCE Leader
ILCTE Innovative Curriculum Resources Project
BMCE Hot New Resources!
INNOVATIVE CURRICULUM RESOURCES
Business & Technology Teachers!
Check out these resources from Next Generation Personal Finance to supplement your curriculum for Personal Finance, Introduction to Business, Consumer Education and more!
Next Generation Personal Finance -- www.ngpf.org
Find innovative curriculum and personal finance resources for free at this webite! Sign-up is Free! Many ideas for projects that could be used with BREAKOUT.EDU activities to innovate your curriculum.
BMCE Certiport Certification Testing Days
ILCTE's Certiport Certification Testing Highlights
Certiport and the ILCTE Innovative Curriculum Resources Project offered summer opportunities for Illinois Business and Technology teachers to sit for stackable credentials in industry-recognized areas of Microsoft Office, Adobe, Quickbooks, IC3, Microsoft Associate (programming areas), Entrepreneurship, and Autodesk (in some locations). The testing locations and highlights are listed below.
Certiport's Justin Barker and ILCTE BMCE Leader Diane Mahinda express their appreciation for all teachers and schools, who supported their teachers to attend the Summer Certiport Certification Testing Days! There were a total of 67 hour-long certifications passed during those three days of testing! AWESOME JOB, TEACHERS!
- July 9 -- Alan B. Shepard High School
- July 10 -- Thornton Fractional North High School
- July 12 -- Springfield Southeast High School
July 9 -- Alan B. Shepard High School, 13049 S. Ridgeland Avenue, Palos Heights, IL
Many thanks to Frank LaMantia and the Shepard High School staff for hosting the Certiport Certification Testing Day on July 9. There were 33 Certifications in all areas awarded that day! Congratulations! Below are a few of the hard-working business and technology teachers.
July 10 -- Thornton Fractional North HS, District #215, 755 Pulaski Road, Calumet City, IL
Thank you to Carol Brooks and Thornton Fractional North High School for hosting the July 10 Certiport Certification Testing Day for Business and Technology Teachers. Participating teachers were awarded 16 certifications in the various industry-recognized certification areas. Congratulations!
July 12 -- Springfield Southeast High School, Room 203, 2350 E. Ash, Springfield, IL
Many thanks to Jill Laub and the administration of Springfield Southeast High School for hosting the July 12 Certiport Certification Testing Day. Though the turnout was slight, those present were mighty by being awarded 18 certifications in the various Certiport Industry-Recognized areas. Congratulations Teachers! Unfortunately, no pictures were taken that day for this group.